Friday, January 11, 2019

Day 13- Saturday Nov 9th

This morning we rode the busses to train on loading and unloading off a public bus and went to Smithhaven Mall as a group.  The trainers took us through the mall and did escalator training with those of us that wanted to do that.  Barb took me to the kids area at the one end and had several kids come up and interact with Boomer to show me that he was completely good with children and we talked a bit as she encouraged me to give him a chance.    

 

Boomer and I walking down a main aisle of JC Penneys


Boomer and I go up to the counter as Barb found something she wanted and practice finding the counter and making a purchase.

The next three photos are of Boomer and I trucking it through the mall.  The first photo is with Christmas display in the background and both of us looking straight at the camera.


The two of us walking away from teh camera.


Boomer and I walking and Boomer looking to his right at something that caught his attention.

We headed back to the group and as she helped me back to the group we went to starbucks and got myself a drink.   Seeing moms with their kiddos hit me pretty hard and I began to cry a bit.  Was missing home and my kiddos.  Barb caught me up and gave me a hug and told me to hang in there.  She helped make my way back to the group and they pulled me into the conversation with them and it was fun sitting in the food court together as a group and chatting and seeing the people walking by and staring at the group of dogs quietly laying under the tables and all of us chatting away among ourselves.  





A photo of Boomer at my feet with two other handlers and dogs all curled up and getting a snooze in until the next adventure.



Since it was Sunday, we had the afternoon to do as we wanted so I actually met up with Brandy Pinder, a  fellow guide dog hander and we went to lunch together at the Cheesecake factory.   We came back and got to have a visit with both of our retired guides- Favor and Ricky.   A super HUGE shout out to Brian Bates for letting us come visit.  Brian Works at the foundation and adopted Favor after she went back to GDF.   Ricky was not doing as well as liked in the kennels so he was hosting him in his home for the time being so it made it awesome to see both dogs with the golden retriever breeder that he is also the caretaker for.    Photos below- 



Brian running around.  Favor is a slender bodied dog with a short hair collie body and German shepherd markings.  Brandi is leaning over petting Ricky, a tall standard black poodle.


Brandy bent over with the golden retriever and Ricky sitting in front of her taking all the pets they can get


Brain looking out at the dogs and all three dogs taking off running to the right side of the photo.


A profile photo of Brandy bent over and Ricky sitting intently and happily as she loves on him and rubs his ears.


Favor standing and looking directly as the camera.


Brian on the steps to the house with Favor and Ricky watching him closely.


Brandy leaned over with Ricky at her side and Favor barking at her for attention.


Brandy with her current guide dog and Kacie with Boomer sitting in the leather lounge/main entry of the Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind Campus.

Good night all



Boomer against the wall of our room and snoozing with his head on his paw.